Friday, July 19, 2013

Hottest day this year and crazy birds

On a brutally hot day with the heat index hitting the range of 100-105 degrees, I am amazed that some birds deal with the torrid heat. [ and for me darn hard to work in it outside]

One can commiserate when one sees a COMMON GRACKLE running along the path at Vanderbilt Street park entrance, with its beak wide open. Go to the playground spray pump, grackle !

At their nest near the Lullwater Bridge, I finally spotted this year the second nest the three fledgling GREEN HERONS , perched on the oak limbs, one running along one limb; David Chortaiy mentioned to me this morning their presence , four he reported in recent days there. It must be soothing for the youngsters though to be over the water .

And a last report, first I've seen in summer , in fact years since I seen this breeding species though they have nested in the park on and off, a panting WOOD THRUSH I spotted from my vehicle; the thrush was in the woods edge adjacent to the woods trail ( with railing ) by the east asphalt path. Wood thrushes have bred in past years in the Midwood and as well around the north zoo slope ( Now the compost dump)

Stay cool, cool relief coming tomorrow afternoon with predicted storms induced by the cold front.

By the way, does anybody have Jack Frost's cell phone number ? I like to make a call...

--KB

Prospect Park, Kings, US-NY
Jul 19, 2013
Protocol: Incidental
3 species

Green Heron  4     3 fledglings, nest
Wood Thrush  1
Common Grackle  1

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S14686223

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org)