Friday, July 12, 2013

Prospect bits and pieces..( and beetle bug)

Rob Bate mentioned to me sightings this morning of WARBLING VIREO, WHITE-EYED VIREO, YELLOW WARBLER, BALTIMORE ORIOLE & ORCHARD ORIOLE.

Larry Zirlin was in town from New Jersey and reported two LEAST TERNS over Prospect Lake.


On the complete nature side, Stanley Greenberg sent me a photo of an intriguing large insect called Stag Beetle that I originally searched on Steve's website 

http://www.stevenanz.com/Main_Directory/Plants_Animals/Invertebrates/Insects/Coleoptera/Scarabaeoidea/index.htm

Steve chimed in later and sent this post:

Hi Stanley,

Looks like a male Lucanus capreolus (Reddish-brown Stag Beetle) which I have seen in Prospect Park and is on the page Peter referenced. I'm pretty sure I can see enough detail on the mandibles to eliminate other members of the genus and I am not aware of any other genus with members that are similar.  More info at: http://bugguide.net/node/view/3107

Steve


here's Stanley's cell phone photo below