Monday, August 17, 2015

Good bird at Butterfly Mead

The appearance of a BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO- the rarer species of the two northeastern cuckoo species- took me by surprise at Butterfly Meadow. The long tailed bird flew up to a locust tree  limb over the path on the north side of Arleen's Pines; initially I wasn't expecting this cuckoo species. But after a few seconds looking , I have to say I was quite delighted seeing it! Its been awhile since I've seen BBCU in Prospect, but the black bill and reddish eye ring nailed it for me.

A minor early morn buzz of activity at Butterfly Meadow included some nice warblers. Tops was BLUEWINGED, CHESTNUT SIDED ,YELLOW & BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLERS, all on the west perimeter of the Butterfly Meadow. I also had on the other side AMERICAN REDSTART.Throw in a few Vireos , that was WARBLING and RED-EYED; Orioles consumed Paper Mulberry fruit above the Mary Monument stairs.A BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER is another worthy sighting now spotted lingering on the west perimeter with the warblers

Down at the Lake, two SPOTTED SANDPIPERS hung around.