Monday, October 12, 2015

White ibis follow-up per Rob Jett

Subject: Brooklyn White Ibis follow up Date: Mon Oct 12 2015 12:45 pm From: citybirder AT earthlink.net

I thought I should give everyone a follow up, as well as, more detailed information regarding the White Ibis at Green-Wood Cemetery. I apologize for lack of info earlier as I was in such a rush to get out the door. Anyway …

At around 10:30am I received a text from my friend Marge, who is a history tour guide at the cemetery. Apparently her friend photographer Ryan Morrissey called to tell her he was looking at a White Ibis on the Valley Water. That is the pond just to the right and down the hill from the main entrance. Just to be clear, I didn't see the bird, I was just reporting it. I only arrived at the Valley Water 10 minutes after it was flushed by someone walking around the pond. Ryan didn't seen it fly as he was in mid-text when it vanished. I did track down Pam Langsford, another photographer who had actually seen the bird fly. The only good news is that she didn't think the bird flew very far. She said it could have even perched in a tree. Needless to say, many people drove around or walked around for a few hours and came up empty. It is also interesting to note that Ryan drove around the Valley Water at 8am and there were no birds present. He spotted the ibis a couple of hours later when he was driving back. There are four ponds in the cemetery, so I'd check those spots first.

Good luck and good birding,

Rob

PS - If you are not familiar with the cemetery you can get a free map at the entrance.

http://citybirder.blogspot.com @thecitybirder