Saturday, September 24, 2022

Great to have a bunch of eyes

 I very rarely go on other leaders club walks. My philosophy for that regards a few reasons but today with a good wind and my desire to see fall plumaged warblers - "catching up"- I decided to go on Ryan's relocated ( from governor's island) walk to Greenwood Cemetery. It was a fortuitus decision. And ideally, it's better with a bunch of roving sharp eyes to help find those birds.

Personally, getting a dozen species of warblers is good for me. The group found 22 warbler species today. I really don't care for the number nor I have an ego for personal high counts. What matters to me is the beauty of migration and quality of birds that makes fall birding a joy.

For example: getting extensive looks at a yew berry eating Tennessee warbler; spotting initially the Wilson's Warbler at Sylvan;finding a Baybreasted warbler at Crescent water,  getting great looks at the Dellwater Blue Grosbeak;watching a cool looking Lincoln's Sparrow at Bluffside path weedy patch;and observing a dissipating kettle of Broadwinged hawks over Sylvan water southeast ridge. I left at 1:00 due to lower back spasms from standing too long and the need for a restroom, none found in deep Greenwood.

I later heard the now reduced group in midafternoon found a Connecticut warbler at Central Ave beech "tunnel" . ( Incidentally another Connecticut was found earlier on Landscape Avenue south of Lawn Ave). I realized that possibility but I'm happy with today's  personal effort.

On the grapevine particularly Prospect, a few good reports there mentioned. At the Wellhouse , Philadelphia Vireo and Red breasted Nuthatch were observed. Broadwinged Hawks continuing their movement over the Wellhouse.

But the best bird was found on Dennis's BBC walk. Near the south lake shore rustic Summer house ( opposite Duck Island) they found a Grasshopper Sparrow hanging out near the Phragmites water edge. It eventually flushed and flew westward. After some searching the rare sparrow was refound  1/4 mile away at the Hammerhead (opposite west island), in the middle by a homeless person's camp. The resident was getting quite agitated seeing the mob of birders .

In all, even though I haven't read likely more reports, it was a fantastic day.