Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Prospect , Fall showing its stuff

About this time or very near timewise, NYC starts getting those good rarities when warblers move on.So" Life" does not end as we know it...

This morning , Butterfly Meadow, with its lush grassland/wildflower richness, a very good rarity appeared. Keir Randall reported BLUE GROSBEAK,  along with a similar plumage INDIGO BUNTING . I saw both birds together in the dried up coneflowers at the north fence of the meadow. The female BLUE GROSBEAK flew though in the direction of the northwest Pin Oak, where it perched on a tall pokeweed and stayed there for  half a minute and I was able to see it quite well.

Another good bird though at this moment I still need to scope it for confirmation was a small/ midsize duck in the lake; Keir spotted in the distance. I went later , about an hour, and saw this duck near the West Islands; it was a frustratingly difficult bird, sleeping most of the time -head tucked in -and bad harsh light with my seven power bins.. But I detected a small blackish bill when it did awaken and this led me to lean towards very likely BLUE WINGED TEAL.And more difficult, its in molt ( towards nonbreeding ) with some white spots at the bill base.Hopefully I can see this bird later with a scope when I get home and confirm the drat bird.

But besides good activity in a few spots, especially Butterfly Meadow, all went quiet there when a MERLIN flew in and perched in the southwest dead tree. Later I heard before 3pm-- it may be the same bird--a Merlin perched near the Tennis House , word passed to me by my coworker , after briefed by Peter Colen in the field....

Merlins... Great Birds ! I love them.....