Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Not a knockout day.

I ran into a long time birding friend early this morning who was skeptical about radar predictions. In a way I agree with him even if the forecast was quite rosy. It was as my friend said " not a knockout day". But despite that pessimistic view, tough birding searches by good birders did achieve respectable numbers,good birds including a funny find involving communication with my boss and coworker on my day off.

Migration is a mystery. If it was predictable,then birding would become a drab sport. One location  when its a surge day  may see tremendous numbers and diversity whearas other sites may not see the anticipated numbers. For example, Sandy Hook national seashore park saw saw 116 species today by reknown Bill Boyle .Prospect on the other hand didn't see a slamdunk of big numbers. A diversity did happen but birds were scattered.

But before I go into park birding details,here's a story that will make you flip from this morning. My phone was low on battery so I had it on airplane mode to conserve it. I happened to turn it on to see any alerts or texts. A dialogue with my boss and coworker showed on on my screen. Apparently they were asking me about the identity of a bird bought in a box to a horticultural worker at the Lakeside rink. That worker contacted my coworker who contacted my boss. They got a cellphone picture of the bird. Unfortunately the founder was impatient and left before I replied.( Must be a rush hour hurry). The bird was found inside a box on the windowsill of the resident' s home. You want to take a look of the picture yourself ? ( Don't smack your head now)


Yep..it's a VIRGINIA RAIL! It doesn't surprise me about this specie's eccentricity. I've heard many stories over the years of Virginia rails odd spot appearances.for example,One bird popped into a wedding reception at the Picnic House; another was found in a laundry basket in a 7 th ave laundromat. Even I was surprised when a kid came up to me on south Lake to complain of his buddies harassing a bird that I picked up,a Virginia rail. Today's bird I don't know what happened to, hopefully it was released safely by the impatient finder.

Prospect's hilights were YELLOW THROATED VIREOS,CERULEAN WARBLER,BLUE WINGED WARBLER,NASHVILLE WARBLER, & WORMEATING WARBLER . On the east side of West Island lies the Hammerhead peninsula where a singing yet invisible Cerulean was heard by song expert Ed Crowne. On the other hand a singing Yellow-throated VIREO there wanted to be seen and cooperated well. The Bluewinged appeared in the Rose Garden south before the zoo compost yard and Ravine; Nashville at Rick's Place; and a gregarious Wormeating along the Ravine creek past the Rock Arch entertained an number of birders.

Orioles filled a number of locations ,an uptick today. A few Orchard Orioles were reported. Joining them ,Scarlet Tanager,Field Sparrow and SOLITARY SANDPIPER added to the diversity. For more,follow the Twitter feed Brooklyn bird alert. My fingers are getting tired writing this long post.

Birdcast says still good bird movement tonight. But I will play it safe and say instead of " should be good" COULD be good".

😋