Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Prospect Two spectacular warblers

Two spectacular warblers enlightened my day,given my workday,making my spare time memorable and delightful. One was CANADA WARBLER, the other BLACKBURNIAN ,at different times,in different places on a day that was quite warm yet active in some locations with some good birds reported.

On my lunch hour ,pursuing a rare bird report which I get to soon here, had me at the Peninsula. No action on the meadow so I went inside the woods where warblers were feeding in the low canopy and low strata. Here near the point, my spectacular CANADA appeared, a brilliant male bird with a huge necklace (almost Tiffanynesque !) This bird hung around awhile while I enjoyed watching it. Along the way out on the shore woods trail,by two posts that was suppose to support a bench,a YELLOW BILLED CUCKOO appeared in a young cherry tree. Then I get a tweet about the Dawn Redwood tree at the Binnen Falls being active.

With minutes left on my lunch hour, several nice birds moved around in that Dawn Redwood. Tops was a female CAPE MAY WARBLER, then female and juvenile ORCHARD ORIOLEs,WARBLING VIREO, and several BLACKPOLL WARBLERS outnumbering the rest of the birds.

The other spectacular warbler took place after work.On my way home along southwest drive, I ran into Patty and Gus. There was action at that corner of Lookout Hill base, mostly RED EYED VIREOS and a few warblers. I decided after 10 minutes watching to walk the midslope trail.About halfway down, the spectacular BLACKBURNIAN appeared low in an oak tree. Why this bird great ? It had orange fading all the way to its belly ! I don't think I've seen that on this species before.And it wasn't reflective light but an aberrant bird with too much orange. ( Dutch bird perhaps ?)

[ check FACEBOOK for Rob Bates photo of the Blackburnian I shared with my followers]

Other reports came from afield. A BLUE GROSBEAK on the Peninsula Lawn was seen by two members of the BBC Walk today. John Walsh mentioned LINCOLN SPARROW at Amber gill Falls and SOLITARY SANDPIPER at Lower Pool. Late this evening ,Dennis tweeted out GRAY CHEEKED THRUSH along Amber gill creek and calling WILLOW FLYCATCHER at Peninsula lake shore,first phragmite marsh ("RAIL YARD").

Those birds are still coming through.....

KB

My list

Location
Prospect Park, Kings County, New York, US Map )
Date and Effort
Tue May 13, 2014
Protocol:
Incidental
Party Size:
1
Observers:
Peter Dorosh
Comments:
N/A
Species
45 species total
X
Mute Swan
2
Mallard
2
Ruddy Duck
1
Double-crested Cormorant
1
Great Blue Heron
1
Great Egret
3 sisters
1
Green Heron
Breeding Code
ON Confirmed--Occupied Nest
2
Red-tailed Hawk
3
Laughing Gull
12
Herring Gull
X
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)
X
Mourning Dove
1
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Peninsula
X
Chimney Swift
1
Eastern Kingbird
1
Warbling Vireo
Binnen falls
4
Red-eyed Vireo
Lookout hill
2
Blue Jay
1
Tree Swallow
25
Barn Swallow
Lake
2
Tufted Titmouse
1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
1
Veery
X
American Robin
X
Gray Catbird
X
European Starling
2
Ovenbird
6
Black-and-white Warbler
4
Common Yellowthroat
5
American Redstart
1
Cape May Warbler
2
Northern Parula
3
Magnolia Warbler
2
Blackburnian Warbler
1 of 2 at Lookout southwest slope
5
Blackpoll Warbler
4Binnen falls
3
Black-throated Blue Warbler
3
Yellow-rumped Warbler
1
Canada Warbler
Peninsula
X
White-throated Sparrow
X
Northern Cardinal
X
Common Grackle
2
Brown-headed Cowbird
2
Orchard Oriole
Binnen falls
Age & Sex
JuvenileImmatureAdultAge Unknown
Male1
Female1
Sex Unknown
1
American Goldfinch
X
House Sparrow