Thursday, April 11, 2019

Third time is a charm



The third time is a charm as I finally got the LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH in the Vale Cashmere.

After seeing Charles T's tweet of the bird in "clear view" I went over there after an hour delay. I didn't initially see it , giving up on the bird. But a former Youth Crew worker stopped to chat with me. On my way out, I happen to see a birding acquaintance who  I went over to see and he mentioned he just saw the LOWA. But it flew from the muddier side of the Vale Pool midsection  to the watery side and lo there it was on wood debris. Yes, Lucky Charm! The waterthrush sported a well defined bright white super cilium, a gorgeous looking bird that is definitely a second bird as yesterdays bird I saw in the Ravine has a"bad hair" day type of look.
Image result for chipping sparrow clip art

It was quiet today but there were some good moments. Of the top moment, at least a dozen CHIPPING SPARROWS were hanging around and on the mound that is opposite field 7 ballfield in the southwest corner. They occasionally flew up to the young saplings limbs where great looks were had. Cool looking plumage for these spizella sparrows is well appreciated.

While working on Breeze Hill, I happened to look up and see a BELTED KINGFISHER fly over into the Lullwater.

With warblers today , only PINE and PALM were seen , both along the back woods path of the Upper Pool. The PINE was bright yellow and a handsome devil as it dropped low , away from my looking at the harsh light above.