Saturday, April 20, 2024

My yingyang SWAINSONS Warbler



About 8 years ago, I got the back half of a presumed Swainson s warbler in Prospect Midwood ,found by the very modest birding virtuoso Ed Crowne. This morning I added the missing jigsaw puzzle piece half, the more important front half.

At that time 8 years past ,I happened to see Ed after working with a chainsaw crew cutting a down tree across the path. Upon my inquiry to him, he mentioned "Swainson". I replied oh yeah those thrushes are in. " No ,he said "warbler". Shocked ,I muttered xxxxxx! What followed was futility trying to get this Skulker in heavy brush; the one time with help from kind birders, was a back view before disappearing into brush,never to expose itself and my kings county record went uncompleted.

Fast forward to today ,I got to see an extroverted bird- so open,so tame. And more importantly, the front half,YingYang consummated.

It took me a long walk from the F train York St station,almosta mile easily to arrive at Pier 5 backwoods upland area. Though I had the map coordinates, I was hoping to find birders. That was easy and easier still, the birders pointing downward to the leaf clutter where lo and behold, my nemesis bird fed less 10 feet away, finally  personallya big relief!  

As they say, "patience is a virtue "or maybe a better  saying,"Good things come to those who wait."

Thank you ,birders.


Yutori(Japanese): intentionally slowing down to simply be,breathe, listen and approach the beauty of nature and life.
  Consciously creating space to relax, reflect,and integrate rather than being constantly busy or rushed.