Monday, April 22, 2013

Worm eating Warbler photo; day's update

from this late afternoon, a Worm -eating Warbler on the water snag, taken by Bobbi Manian:




I was on my way home from 9th Street and 5th Ave after going for post work errands and ran into Bobbi along the Lake drive who told me that Kristin Costello texted us both of this WORM-EATING WARBLER (WEWA). It was found after a day long disappearance. A brief glimpse for Kristin along the shoreline trail  ( first one from the Terrace Bridge ) on the west side, we searched despite my not having bins ( left at my office).  After looking as far as the cove south prong , Kristin came to fetch me : she found the bird again, only this time it was on the east side of the Lullwater, where the WEWA used a small snag as a perch for insects. Bobbi kindly gave me her bins momentarily that I can record the bird for my year  list.

Then the WEWA flew back to the west side as I spotted it flying and it landed on the large snag in the water, where it stayed for a good five minutes , searching the tree furrows and limbs for insects. Never have I seen this species use the water snags for food searching. Confused into thinking it's a waterthrush ??

Afterwards the WEWA came to the shoreline, picking at the grass edges before  hopping into the dogwood bush towards the Cove. It's hanging around.....

*********************

This morning, in an omission from my previous post, two co-workers spotted a low flying adult BALD EAGLE over the 9th street nursery area ( "Propsite ")

*********************

My list


Prospect Park, Kings, US-NY
Apr 22, 2013
Protocol: Incidental
24 species

Canada Goose  X
Mute Swan  X
Mallard  X
Great Egret  1     Lullwater
Green Heron  1     Lullwater
Osprey  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1
American Coot  X
Rock Pigeon  X
Chimney Swift  X
Downy Woodpecker  1
Black-capped Chickadee  1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  1     Lullwater
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  1     Lullwater
American Robin  X
European Starling  X
Worm-eating Warbler  1  Lullwater; found by Kristin Costello,also obs. Bobbi Manian
Palm Warbler  3     Lullwater
Pine Warbler  2     Lullwater
Yellow-rumped Warbler  5
Eastern Towhee  1     Lullwater cove
Chipping Sparrow  4     Lullwater
Song Sparrow  1
Northern Cardinal  2

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S13848157

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org)