Sunday, May 7, 2023

Holy Spark Boid

This Sunday morning I arrived in Prospect Park before 6 am.  I wanted to take advantage of the rosy bird forecast with southwestern winds. I only had an hour and half before church services. Despite the short stay ,I succeeded with my holy Spark boid, Scarlet Tanager.

Along Well Drive, it was predicted às expected: bird movement. First an Eastern Kingbird was seen flycatching. Then a steady stream of Yellow rumped warblers followed. I saw 7 together in one tree but obviously there were much more. Joshua who came by saw most of the  "rumps" take off towards Lookout Hill, a good 50 at least.

Going up the Hill, i was surprised not to see much. But eventually l get to Butterfly Meadow and here I found my spark boid the tanager. It was easy pickings because the bird shone through the oak leaves. Two Scarlet Tanagers sat in the northwest oak . Later during a celebratory beer sit-down ,Ryan G tells me he had 15 scarlets at Greenwood cemetery  on his walk both impressive and evidence of this species major movement today.

I heard also from Ryan he tallied 85 species at Greenwood . A bonus tree happened to be a reknown Bald Cypress at Valley Water.

It was obviously "breakout " day today. I was glad to get at least some birding in today.