Wednesday, May 13, 2015

North wind stall

With the wind shifting North,it would be slim pickings with birds this morning. And so it was with some personal consolation with my yearly warbler list and a rare bird I didn't expect to see.

First thing I took my walk along Well Drive.I was on a quest to find my 29th warbler species this year after getting Canada yesterday mid afternoon in the Vale Cashmere. Usually lamppost 249 comes through with Wilson's with the low shrubbery there behind the tables. There was one i found out later  in the area but later on that. Instead I walked across Well drive to the burnt out phragmite area.

The phragmite area last Sunday had a Marsh Wren.I figure what the heck why not try? Taking the middle phragmite marsh  trail,I noted a movement along the base of the water edge phragmites.On closer inspection, what do you know? A MARSH WREN! I watched it for several moments as it worked its way thru the reed stalks. A cool find for myself.

Eventually a climb up very quiet Lookout Hill.There at top at Butterfly Meadow I ran into a couple of early birder friends including ear maestro Ed Crowne.Ed mentioned he had earlier a Wilson's Warbler below above the Well house.I didn't have the energy  to chase it on this high tree pollen day . I wager my chance it may come up slope. It was actually at the Maryland Monument that Ed heard the Wilson's sing. And there behind the monument along with Dennis Hrehowsik and James Muchmore, we watched a "rarefied" WILSON' s higher up in a sycamore maple. My 29th ...

With a strange migration that has been very challenging ,marked by low numbers of birds,especially warblers,I would take what I can get.


http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S23421015

Note Monica Berger reported LINCOLN's SPARROW in the Vale Cashmere,the bird present from yesterday