Friday, May 1, 2015

the walk home

Given the current chilly spell, ones expectations for bird numbers dim. But with the acceptance of the circumstances,making the best of it in appreciating those few birds makes a world of difference.

After my work shift ended, I usually take my routine from the tennis house towards the ravine. A stop at the esdale bridge where the ambergill creek has that bird bath spot that I created two years back, a very active e showboating YELLOW WARBLER stole the limelight. It flew everywhere along that creek, across it ,landing on various perches, its bright yellow a wonderful sight to see on this slow day. Earlier about ten minutes before a bathing NORTHERN PARULA with a nearby BLACK & WHITE WARBLER were visitors to the bird bath.

Nothing much else occurred until I got to the Peninsula. Not for activity of any sort but a great look of a GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHER above the Y fork. In setting sun, the yellow and red stands out well on this cool looking bird.

My afternoon short walk was productive ,enjoying a few birds that made the most of their presence.

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S23167151

There were reported FIELD SPARROW and BROWN THRASHER from Simon Taylor; the latter bird also mentioned to me from Stanley Greenberg's email.