Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Fwd: Extinct in New York - Governors Island

From conservationist Bart Chezar on Art exhibit Gov Island plants extinction from NYC.

The windflower and the violet, they perished long ago, And the brier-rose and the orchis died amid the summer glow; But on the hills the golden-rod, and the aster in the wood, And the yellow sunflower by the brook, in autumn beauty stood, Till fell the frost from the clear cold heaven, as falls the plague on men, And the brightness of their smile was gone, from upland glade and glen.




-----Original Message-----
From: BCHEZAR <bchezar@nyc.rr.com>
To: 'BCHEZAR' <bchezar@nyc.rr.com>
Cc: 'BCHEZAR' <bchezar@nyc.rr.com>
Sent: Mon, Sep 16, 2019 09:32 PM
Subject: Extinct in New York - Governors Island


Hi All,

I am sending this e-mail to the distribution list concerning my work with the American chestnut and, eelgrass and Sargassum.  I apologize for those on both lists who will get this e-mail twice.

There is an exhibit on Governors Island I believe you may find interesting - https://lmcc.net/lmcc-arts-center-at-governors-island/michael-wang-extinct-in-new-york/  .  This exhibit is an artistic display of plants that have gone "Extinct in New York".  It runs from September 19th to October 31 (Thursday – Sunday 12pm – 5pm.

A couple of months ago the artist, Michael Wang, met with me and I provided him with American chestnut seedlings for the exhibit.  I spoke with him about my work with eelgrass, Zostera marina, and Sargassum filipendula and their prior history in New York harbor.  He decided to include them in the exhibit and obtained specimens from Steve Schott at the Cornell Extension Service.

Though I have not seen the exhibit yet, I look forward to visiting it soon.  If you know others who might be interested in seeing the exhibit please pass on the link.

Regards,

Bart