Thursday, May 7, 2015

AM average migration day

A below average movement this morning of birds not known for numbers or rarity in Prospect Park. I did see on my day off a respectable dozen warbler species including a low TENNESSEE WARBLER.

Changing my routine instead of beelining for Lookout Hill, I toured the southwest shoreline of the Lake. Not much movement along there but I was curious of its potential being the first green spot migrants see. It was at the West Island benches where the half moon pink beach is that I saw the TENNESSEE. Along the phragmite edge ,some young sweetgum trees had a few warblers quite low. Among them was the TENNESSEE with YELLOW, NORTHERN PARULA and a BLACKTHROATED BLUE female in close proximity.

Then eventually to Lookout Hill ,the Maryland Monument stairs became my best birding spot. As a male AMERICAN REDSTART chased its meals at the base of the stairs, a CAPE MAY WARBLER popped into view above it,plucking at the sycamore maple seeds. At this point,uncommon for Prospect, a trio of BRANTS flew moderately high above the monument,towards the Lake. As I was watching these birds,a recognizable call from a bird I thought was a WHITE EYED VIREO; sure enough it was the bird along the slope and it chased a COMMON YELLOWTHROAT. Given my profound hearing impairment, I think my hearing might have improved a bit with age ,giving me confidence into becoming a bonafide " eared" birder!  ;-)


There was a report from Matthew Wills of WORM EATING WARBLER in an oak at Lookout Hill' s summit.More info to come with the BBC Thursday walk in progress.

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S23284921