Thursday, October 24, 2019

Local rare sparrow day

When I drove by in my work vehicle,I saw three ladies in the distance looking at birds at fields 2&3. I had a good feeling they were observing the Vesper Sparrow.

Making sure my quiet approach  was from field 3` s second base,I asked the ladies- Linda,Toni and Ellen if they had the VESPER. Yep and even better there's two! In front of field 2 third base,both chunky birds with the bright eye rings were feeding deep in the short grass along with a Savannah Sparrow. I'm glad the Vesper sparrows stuck around  and they did throughout the morning between the dugouts and once seen on the right dugout bench.

It appeared active today with birds and sparrows. On my various work trips I noted several Hermit thrushes along Lookout Hill north paths;Sparrow flocks flushed upward into trees as I drovedby noisily.Chippings and juncos I presume were those birds

Meanwhile over at Greenwood cemetery Sylvan Water the GRASSHOPPER SPARROW emerged along the west slope according to Karen O'hearn in mid-afternoon.It disappeared shortly after.