Monday, May 4, 2015

Park is Hot enough for shorebirds

A balmy hot day brought forth a rare combination of shorebirds regarding the number of species, not
seen in awhile in Prospect Park which lacks mudflats. Along with that rare occurrence,
 another rare warbler, though already seen in Prospect earlier this spring appeared.


Keir Randall reported a trio of  shorebirds on Music Island, the newly created island by the Lakeshore Rink. A WILSON'S SNIPE, with SOLITARY  & SPOTTED SANDPIPERS were on this island that has an exposed shoreline , attractive to shorebirds. I went at lunchtime, but saw only two SPOTTED SANDPIPERS.

On my lunch hour, I spotted an adult RUSTY BLACKBIRD in the Ambergill Creek
after investigating a reported Prothonotary Warbler possibility from a source who texted me. I didn't find the bird until I received another text from a good birder I know midafternnon. Nathan Scholtens reported the PROTHONOTARY WARBLER in the Ambergill Creek; later it moved towards the Lower Pool , away from the Ravine.This is the third Prothonotary for Prospect's spring;seems like the park has a penchant for the species.

In the Ravine, with my lunch hour  always too short, my quest to get my yearly 30 species warblers got closer to my goal  with two new ones for the season. About 100 feet south of the Little Rock Arch at Ambergill falls, along the Ravine Creek,a fine looking male AMERICAN REDSTART  was joined in order of my  observation: MAGNOLIA, NORTHERN PARULA, and a resting  female BLUE WINGED WARBLER. All the birds, especially the spectacular looking Magnolia were below me, so no " "warbleneck " affliction there for me.