Philadelphia Vireo (Vireo philadelphicus) (1)
- Reported Sep 19, 2026 09:49 by Richard Fleming
- Green-Wood Cemetery--Sylvan Water, Kings, New York
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=40.6537472,-73.9986235&ll=40.6537472,-73.9986235
- Checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S394329204
- Media: 6 Photos
- Comments: "Whatever that so-called "effect" is when you go looking for a rarity and by virtue of careful observation and multiple sets of eyeballs suddenly find another, that's what happened here. After Ed Crowne and I had satisfactorily gorged on extended views of the Connecticut warbler as it wandered unconcerned in the shady grasses, we stood around for awhile discussing our respective recent trips to Bahia. When I idly put my glasses up on some avian object in the adjacent cherry tree, I was able to say "hey Ed, not to interrupt, but we have a Philly Vireo up here." We quickly got the remaining Connecticut-viewers on the bird, which was a small, brightish yellow vireo with a bold white eyestripe and dark lores, a not-at-all confusing example of its taxon."
"Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns."
— George Eliot
--
- Reported Sep 19, 2026 09:49 by Richard Fleming
- Green-Wood Cemetery--Sylvan Water, Kings, New York
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=40.6537472,-73.9986235&ll=40.6537472,-73.9986235
- Checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S394329204
- Media: 6 Photos
- Comments: "Whatever that so-called "effect" is when you go looking for a rarity and by virtue of careful observation and multiple sets of eyeballs suddenly find another, that's what happened here. After Ed Crowne and I had satisfactorily gorged on extended views of the Connecticut warbler as it wandered unconcerned in the shady grasses, we stood around for awhile discussing our respective recent trips to Bahia. When I idly put my glasses up on some avian object in the adjacent cherry tree, I was able to say "hey Ed, not to interrupt, but we have a Philly Vireo up here." We quickly got the remaining Connecticut-viewers on the bird, which was a small, brightish yellow vireo with a bold white eyestripe and dark lores, a not-at-all confusing example of its taxon."
"Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns."
— George Eliot
--