Pectoral Sandpiper (Calidris melanotos) (1)
- Reported Sep 08, 2026 09:04 by Doug Gochfeld
- Prospect Park, Kings, New York
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=40.6602841,-73.9689534&ll=40.6602841,-73.9689534
- Checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S391063026
- Comments: "**surprise, and very rare in Prospect Park. Just as I approached the splash pad after entering the park, and right after the small group of small peeps was first visible to me over the splash pad wall, two calidrids flew in low from out of view to the NE. I was surprised to hear some grating Pectoral Sandpiper flight calls. They made as if they briefly thought about landing near the other peeps, but they did not, and circled once, got higher, and disappeared behind some trees, flying south, and apparently out of the park. One or both were calling repeatedly during the entire observation, and one was clearly larger and longer winged - I focused on this one in binoculars and confirmed the longer, slightly decurved bill, and strong demarcation between dark chest and pale belly (visible despite the harsh backlighting), and then they were gone, and I wasn’t able to study the second one. I continued my approach to the splashpad to look into the corner where they evidently came from, and there was an employee sweeping the NE edge of the pad, presumably just having started his work day."
Beauty is the only thing that time cannot harm. Philosophies fall away like sand, creeds follow one another, but what is beautiful is a joy for all seasons, a possession for all eternity.
--Oscar Wilde,author
--
- Reported Sep 08, 2026 09:04 by Doug Gochfeld
- Prospect Park, Kings, New York
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=40.6602841,-73.9689534&ll=40.6602841,-73.9689534
- Checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S391063026
- Comments: "**surprise, and very rare in Prospect Park. Just as I approached the splash pad after entering the park, and right after the small group of small peeps was first visible to me over the splash pad wall, two calidrids flew in low from out of view to the NE. I was surprised to hear some grating Pectoral Sandpiper flight calls. They made as if they briefly thought about landing near the other peeps, but they did not, and circled once, got higher, and disappeared behind some trees, flying south, and apparently out of the park. One or both were calling repeatedly during the entire observation, and one was clearly larger and longer winged - I focused on this one in binoculars and confirmed the longer, slightly decurved bill, and strong demarcation between dark chest and pale belly (visible despite the harsh backlighting), and then they were gone, and I wasn’t able to study the second one. I continued my approach to the splashpad to look into the corner where they evidently came from, and there was an employee sweeping the NE edge of the pad, presumably just having started his work day."
Beauty is the only thing that time cannot harm. Philosophies fall away like sand, creeds follow one another, but what is beautiful is a joy for all seasons, a possession for all eternity.
--Oscar Wilde,author
--