Saturday, September 4, 2021

Slow approach in prospect

Since sun glare makes it hard for me nowadays to bird the small stuff like fast warblers, my pace is slow patient even stop awhile approach. If I get some warblers on my own,I'm happy. High numbers is not a personal goal anymore.

I made four stops: Well drive containers, well house,butterfly meadow and peninsula tip. 

Well drive containers was most productive. With the heavily vine infested slope here i spotted Magnolia Warbler,half a chestnut sided warbler and likely a very fast Canada warbler giving me a heck of a No chance. Those dang vines! Also appearing: Red eyed Vireo.That one cooperated!

Behind the Well house there were birds.But only a personable Northern Parula and Song Sparrow were happy to show themselves.To my upper left an American Redstart flashed itself.

Butterfly meadow was quiet given its good habitat. American Gold finches held stage among the sunflowers. But with patience I earned seeing a cool bird: Rose breasted Grosbeak. In a young oak in almost center of the meadow,I saw the movement. My hope is finding it in the thick leafy tree. And sure enough the perched openly  immature male with striped head had a rose breast!

Mark my words someday. When that young center oak matures, it will be  center stage for migrating birds.And the reason? Birds fearful of becoming prey like to fly short distancss for quick cover. ( and me and dan smith saw a flyover kestrel this morning). And the irony? The oak was never planted by anyone. It generated naturally on its own from a dropped acorn,a baby Pin Oak. Early in its life I asked the arborists to transplant it ( because of its tap root)but they always forgot. Now it stands to be a "birdy station" between the bird club donor trees and big corner pin oaks.

My last stop in the usually late morning --especially fall Peninsula tip netted zilch. Oh someone came along and saw a black and white warbler. I couldn't see it because of the strong glare( of course when you are looking south)

Oh well you cant get them all!


--
Genius... is the capacity to see ten things where the ordinary man sees one.

--Ezra Pound



--
Genius... is the capacity to see ten things where the ordinary man sees one.

--Ezra Pound